South Korea’s high web firm Kakao and main recreation developer Com2uS are sizing down their metaverse groups because the digital world platforms recorded massive losses within the first half of 2023, native information company Newsis reported.
See associated article: South Koreans maintain practically US$100 billion in crypto abroad
- Com2uS, a serious cellular recreation developer that recorded US$536 million in income final yr, just lately downsized its workers in its metaverse division, in keeping with Newsis. The main points relating to the workers cutback haven’t been revealed.
- The corporate’s metaverse platform, Com2Verse, formally launched on Aug. 1 this yr. Nevertheless, the enterprise arm behind the metaverse platform recorded an working lack of about US$6.2 million within the first half of this yr.
- Colorverse, one other South Korea-based metaverse firm, performed a spherical of layoffs earlier this yr with out disclosing the small print to the general public. Colorverse, owned by Kakao’s gaming subsidiary Kakao Video games and its affiliate Neptune, recorded US$8.6 million in losses final yr.
- In July, CyTown, a metaverse revamp of as soon as massively standard native social media service Cyworld, shut down after a yr of service. The digital platform failed to draw customers, recording solely round 10,000 downloads on the Google Play app retailer.
- A survey performed by the Korea Info Society Improvement Institute launched in Might revealed that solely 4.2% of South Korean residents usually use metaverse companies. The survey’s broad interpretation of what constitutes a “metaverse” platform included standard video games Minecraft, Roblox and Animal Crossing.
- Metaverse pioneer Meta, previously Fb, noticed its metaverse division Actuality Labs put up US$13.7 billion in losses.
- In February, ten Japanese corporations together with Fujitsu, Mitsubishi and Sumitomo Mitsui, agreed to determine the Japan Metaverse Financial Zone, a working group to spice up native metaverse infrastructure. The group has made no subsequent bulletins regarding the undertaking.
- In the meantime, China’s Ministry of Trade and Info Expertise mentioned Monday that it’ll look to determine regulatory requirements for the metaverse with the intention to develop into a world chief within the sector.
- Kakao and Com2uS have but to answer Forkast’s e-mail request for feedback despatched Friday.
See associated article: Crypto and System One’s honeymoon is over, can Web3 save a rocky marriage?